FRIENDS! The day has arrived.
Welcome to the new blog
If you are in google reader, do me a quick favor and just click out to see this brand new, completely re-designed, mega-functional blog. This is the product of weeks of worth from both my designer and myself, along with months and months of waiting, dreaming and hoping for what I was envisioning in my head to come true and be out on the web.
Becoming The Odd Duck began almost 2 years ago, when I was working as a corporate sales analyst. I was coaxed into starting a blog by the fabulous Heather. I chose the name because I was searching for something different in my life. I was miserable and unhappy with my life when I started this blog and I hoped blogging would help me out of my dark life and find a way to be happy. As many of you know, about a month after I started this blog I announced I was going back to school to become a RD. Then of course, I worked while going back to school and life was insane again. I even took a blogging hiatus for a while when I tried to figure everything out.
Last August I quit my job and became a full time student. And with that, I returned to blogging but this time with intentions and purposes. I wanted to be a blogger. I wanted to find my blogging voice and I wanted to get my story and my life out there, which was something I had avoided away from in the past.
Since last August I have been working very diligently to grow and build my blog. Beginning in January, I started debating re-designing and moving to a different name. I contemplated new names for months, but came to the conclusion several months later I wanted to keep the same blog name. In so many ways, I’m now The Odd Duck, because I’ve overcome so many obstacles and issues that I had when I started this blog 2 years ago. But in so many other ways, I’m not there yet and the journey continues.
So in April, I contacted Julie and the re-design process began. I appreciate Julie’s work so much because she’s been extremely patient and thorough with all the tweaks and details I’ve had added to the blog.
You may realize (now) that I’ve been trying very hard since April to grow and hone my blogging into specific areas. There’s been an increase in recipes posted. I’ve started the Tonight’s Dinner series where I share a few dinners each week for everyone to see. I’ve continued with Things I Love and the Home Reveal. I also tested a few smaller series that didn’t keep me interested and posting.
Other than the design features you see, this new blog has so many new functionalities that should help you guys navigate and find content easily. This should all make my blog much more accessible to all of you, which is extremely important to me.
I want to take a few minutes and walk you through a few of the main new features you will see on this new blog. I’ll have another post later today that summarizes all the changes to my recipes, because those have changed the most. Then tomorrow we’ll be back to normal posting, deal?
1. New Pages: First take a look at the top of the header. You will see five pages. Here’s a breakdown of these pages:
- details… details: This is my “about me”, which has now been updated from the content on my previous blog. It has a little more information about where I am now in life and how this blog represents my new life!
- recipes: This is brand new and I’ll be talking in depth about it in my post later today
- things I love: Same page as before. This will have the most updated version of things I love for y’all to read
- odd duck sightings: this is brand new and is a listing of all the guest posts I’ve written for other blogs, sorted by category of post. I’ll update this every time I write a new guest post.
2. Social Media Buttons: These are quick way to get in touch with me through social media outlets.
- feedburner button
- subscriptions by email
- twitter account
- BTOD facebook page
3. Popular posts/Categories/Blogroll: This box has it all. I’ve cleaned up my categories to only include topics I will talk about frequently. I had a lot of categories that I’ve stopped using along the way, so those are all gone now. The blogroll was slightly cleaned up as well and I added a few new blogs that I’ve started reading recently.
4. Category buttons: These are my favorite part of the ENTIRE new website! Except maybe the recipe page. I love these buttons!!! These link to the four popular series that I will be continuing to write. These will take you to every post tagged for these categories. The recipe and things I love buttons will take you to the posts for these categories, not the pages, as a fyi.
6. Comments with Twitter/Facebook: You can now log in to post comments with your twitter or facebook accounts. In addition, you will be notified by email now when someone replies to your email (which is one of my most favorite features as well.)
Those are the main features. Obviously there are new design elements as well, but I feel like y’all can see those on your own.
I’ll be back later today to explain the new recipe page and recipe formats on the blog. Those are a huge upgrade as well that I’m very excited about.
So let me know how you like the site! I’d love for 100% honest feedback, because I want to make this blog as functional for you readers as I can. If you don’t feel comfortable leaving feedback in the comments, feel free to email me – OddDuckBlog on gmail.
I hope y’all like the new design as much as I do